I <3 my Heart
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women, but heart disease is preventable. How can you keep your heart healthy?
1. Eat a healthy diet. Choose plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables—adults should have at least 5 servings each day. Avoid foods high in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol to prevent high cholesterol. More Info
2. Keep a healthy weight. Calculate your body mass index (BMI) to see if you are proportional!
3. Exercise regularly. Aim for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week.
4. Check your blood pressure. High blood pressure often has no symptoms, so be sure to have it checked on a regular basis. You can check your blood pressure at home, at a pharmacy, or at a doctor’s office. More Info
5. Don’t smoke. For more information about tobacco use and quitting, click here
6. Limit alcohol use to two drinks (men) or one drink (women) per day, and women to no more than one. More Info
7. Check your cholesterol at least every 5 years. More info
8. If you have diabetes, check your blood sugar levels, and talk with your doctor about treatment. More Info
9. Take your medicine. Always ask questions if you don’t understand something. Your heart is worth it!